Skilled Worker Visa

The UK Skilled Worker Visa provides a route for overseas workers to live and work in the UK. It benefits UK companies as it means there is an opportunity for them to hire talented workers from outside the UK. In order to qualify for this kind of visa, the applicant must be able to show a certificate of sponsorship from an approved UK employer.

Which professions are eligible?

The UK government provides a clear list of eligible occupations, many of which are in the health, science, technology and engineering sectors – but plenty of other skilled professions are included. We can advise on whether your chosen profession meets the necessary criteria. In order to qualify for the visa, you must have secured a position with an approved UK employer, who can act as your sponsor.

There is also a minimum salary requirement, which varies by sector. This means that the details of eligibility do vary on a case-by-case basis, which is why applicants can benefit from seeking personalised advice from our team of immigration experts.

How we can help

Fusco Browne has extensive experience in the field of UK immigration law, and our friendly and supportive team can work with you to make your application for a Skilled Worker Visa as stress-free as possible.

Get in touch to find out more about how we can help you apply. We always work hard to find our clients feasible solutions, to provide realistic advice about the chances of success. Our rates are affordable, and we operate with a fixed fee structure – so you can rest assured that you will never face any hidden charges or unexpected extras.

We take pride in the work we do and want to provide a personalised and dedicated service to each and every client we work with. So if you want to make the most of our extensive knowledge and experience to assist your Skilled Worker Visa application – give us a call or drop us an email today to find out how we can help.

What are the salary requirements?

For most jobs covered under the Skilled Worker Visa, you will need to have secured an annual salary of at least £25,600. However, the actual requirements may be a lot higher – depending on the ‘going rate’ for your job. The ‘going rate’ is an official figure calculated by the UK government, which defines the typical salary in your chosen sector.

For several professions like law, architecture and information technology, the ‘going rate’ is significantly higher than £25,600. In these roles, your sponsor must provide a salary above the ‘going rate’.

Are there any exceptions to the salary requirements?

Yes. If your job is on the shortage occupations list – the eligible salary requirements are reduced. Typically you will need to earn between 70% and 90% of the ‘going rate’ for your profession.

There are also exemptions available for recent graduates who are aged 25 or under, or those still studying or undertaking training. Those working in healthcare or education may be subject to different, less stringent salary requirements.

Finally, there are relaxations of the requirements for workers who hold PhD qualifications, particular for those working in Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths (STEM) linked jobs.

We can provide expert guidance to help you navigate the requirements, and understand your eligibility for the Skilled Worker Visa – to simplify the whole process. 

What language requirements are there?

All applicants for the UK Skilled Worker Visa must fulfil an English language requirement. This is most typically satisfied in one of the following ways;

  • You already hold the nationality of another majority English speaking country.
  • You hold a recognised UK qualification in the English language – such as a GCSE, A level or the equivalent Scottish National Qualifications
  • You hold a degree that was taught or researched in English. For non-UK universities, this can be confirmed through UK NARIC.
  • You pass the Secure English language test (SELT) with an approved qualification provider.
  • You pass an English language assessment by a regulated professional body in medical/healthcare professions.

Cost and Finance

To complete the application you must be able to show that you have at least £1,270 in your bank account. This is known as the maintenance requirement and shows that you can support yourself in the UK. This requirement is relaxed if you have already resided in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months, or if your sponsor agrees to cover the costs of your first year in the UK.

Whilst you have a valid visa, you are permitted to bring spouses and dependents with you to reside in the UK. However, all applicants will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge during the application, and every year that they remain in the UK. You will not be eligible to claim a state pension or most benefits.

How long is the Visa valid?

With a Skilled Worker Visa, you can stay in the UK for up to five years. This can be extended, providing you continue to meet the eligibility requirements. You cannot change jobs or employers without following the visa procedures.

After five years, an applicant can qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Our expert advisers can also help you understand this process – so get in touch to find out more.

Need Immigration Advice? Call Fusco Browne Today

If you are unsure as to whether you meet the requirements to be a British citizen or if you can apply to become a British citizen, then Fusco Browne can help. We are experienced in a wide range of immigration laws and understand that every case is different. Get in touch with us if you need advice on becoming a British citizen, and we can support you every step of the way.

Call Us